Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gen1 Ch1: Kiah - Starting Out

 The past few days have been full of excitement and general business. The first thing I did after checking out my new home was to find a job, since it's very important that I find the means for survival, now that my parents are no longer alive to support me.

Being an aspiring fashionista, I made my way down to Barney's Salon and Tatoo Parlor (which is clear on the other side of town! It's a good thing cab rides are free, or I'd have to walk the whole way...) and looked around. I watched Nellie Spenster, who already worked there, giving one man a tattoo. I thought it was very cool, and after a few quick negotiations, I was given the okay to work at Barney's. Obviously, I was very excited and grateful for the opportunity.

I wouldn't start work for a couple of days, so I busied myself by going to the art gallery. It's such a wonderful environment, and it absolutely sparks creativity and brings out my artistic side. I was so inspired, I was allowed to use one of their easels and a small canvas to paint my very own picture! It wasn't very good, I'll admit, but somebody liked it enough to offer me 3 simoleons for it, so I sold it to the man, who seemed very glad to have it.

I returned home that night exhausted but satisfied with how my first day in Riverview had gone.

After a quick juice (I really can't afford to buy "real food" yet.) I went to bed that first night, dreaming of the endless possibilities that awaited me in the days to come.

The next morning, I rose at 6 am, ready for the day ahead. I watered the single lettuce head I'd planted the day before, and for good measure, planted a couple more lettuce heads. I figure it might help if I grow at least a little of my own food.

After a very quick breakfast of bread and jam, I got dressed and, seeing as I wouldn't be needed at work until the next day, I took a trip down to the junkyard to see if I could salvage any scrap metal. While it's certainly not the most glamorous thing I've ever done, I was eventually able to sell the 20 pieces of scrap that I did find for §2 each and make §40. It's not much, but hey, anything helps.

After my tryst into the junkyard, I found myself incredibly sticky and dusty and just... really dirty feeling. When I had my house built, I didn't have enough money to afford a shower or even a tub, so I decided to take a nice detour and go up to the River Front Swim Club, the neighborhood's community pool. I took my time in the shower, letting all the muck and grime wash away under the hot water.

Just for a bit of fun, because I saw a couple of other people doing it and because I'm not really the shy type, I decided to go for a quick dip in the pool - a skinny dip, that is!


I had such a blast, swimming about, the water swirling around me. I didn't know anybody else there, but I didn't care. For the first time since my mother's death, I felt free. When I left the club, I was almost a little sad to go, but I knew that I could always go back to re-find that feeling of freedom that surged through me that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment